Thursday, March 31, 2011

Week 9: Podcasts (Audacity)

www.somuchpun.com

Well, we're almost to the end of our Web 2.0 sessions, but this week's topic was really exciting!  I've always heard Podcasts being mentioned but really had no clue what they were.  This week was my chance to find out!

Podcasts are audio or video files that are available to the world via the web.  They can be uploading (meaning you can make your own) or downloaded (so you can listen to one by someone else).  And the best part.....it's FREE!  I definitely just caught the attention of any graduate students like myself out there!

I can see endless possibilities to use podcasting in education!  In fact, I had my own private handwritten mindmapping/brainstorming session (see Week 7: Mind Mapping) about all of the cool things I could do with podcasting in the classroom and laboratory.

So here's what I came up with. You could have podcasts on:
  • Lab techniques
  • Lab safety videos (this would save a lot of introductory time in first year laboratory classes)
  • Background information on the lab session to supplement the lab manual and engage visual or audio learners
  • Key points from lectures (created either by the professor or students as a group project!)
  • Online quizzes (created by the professor and posted online as study material or mandatory assignments)
  • Dissection videos: This is my big one, as my biggest pet peeve in science laboratory classes are figuring out an effective way to highlight the techniques, what structures the students must see, etc.  Not only would a podcast video allow a proper dissection to be shown it would also reinforce what they should be looking for, proper techniques, safety issues and would be a good example to use when studying later for an exam.  Basically this would boil down to less instructional time and more hands-on learning time!  What teacher wouldn't love that?!
While I think I would be hesitant at first to create my own podcast, I really believe that this is an invaluable teaching tool, especially in scientific academia.  Face it, we're living in a world of iPods, iPhones, iPads, laptops and smartphones.  It is easier than ever to reach students electronically!  And this may be helpful for the students as well, as a lot of these podcasts could be picked up when their schedule allows it.

Even Sheldon appears to agree with me on this issue.   He readily uses podcasts and various other technological advancements to better annoy his friends and control his surroundings.  Check it out below!

www.tvfanatic.com

________________________________________________________________________

Also as a polite nod to science, today is actually the 200th birthday of Robert Bunsen, the creator of the Bunsen burner.
www.pinkfrosting.com

________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment